1. Coconut Shell Based Hookah: The first hookah ever invented was made of a coconut shell base and a tube with a head attached.
2. It’s believed that India was the first country to invent the hookah and its popularity spread to other countries like Iran, Turkey, and most of the Middle East through trade.
3. Time Counted! Hookah For Women, Cigarette For Men: Because of the time required to smoke a bowl of shisha, in the 19th century, it was mostly women who indulged in smoking hookahs, while the much busier men were smoking cigarettes.
4. Water Cools Down The Smoke: The water in a hookah doesn’t clean the smoke but cools it down. Many think that water is added to get a clean and straight smoke, but it’s main reason is to cool down the hot smoke effect.
5. You Can Use It For 2 Years: Shisha can last for two years after production date and can usually stay fresh for six months after being opened, as long as it is stored in an airtight container and kept out of direct sunlight.
6. Use Real Fruits As Hookah Bowls: An old but popular way to smoke Shisha is to use fruits like pineapples, apples, or oranges as the actual bowl of the hookah. Fun & unique, but can get quite messy & is extremely expensive to get at hookah lounges.
7. Blow Hookah Bubbles Using This Trick: You can blow a hookah bubble using a mixture of soap, water and glycerine and a water bottle cut to about 4 inches.
8. It Has Funny Names: It has many different names depending on the countries, such as Water Pipe, Sheesha, Argeela, Hubbly Bubbly, Okka pipe, Gudugudaa, Lula/ Lulava.